How to Split a Toaster: Divorce Across the Pond podcast
How does divorce and separation differ if you divorce in England & Wales or in Florida, USA?
Senior Associate Nicole Phillips was invited to join Seth Nelson of NLG Divorce & Family Law, a specialist family lawyer based in Tampa, Florida, and Pete Wright on their hugely popular How to Split a Toaster podcast to talk about divorce in England and what’s different from the position in the US.
In this special episode of the How to Split a Toaster podcast “Divorce Across the Pond” Seth, Pete and Nicole offer insights on:
- The differences between solicitors (lawyers) and barristers and how they’re involved in the divorce process in England & Wales;
- The three distinct processes for dealing with the divorce, the financial matters and the arrangements for the children;
- How alimony (spousal maintenance) is dealt with for both married and unmarried couples;
- Is divorce really less antagonistic and litigious in England? Nicole explains the new No Fault Divorce legislation and how and why the courts encourage parents to reach an agreement away from the courts using family mediation, for example;
- Are the divorce rates lower in England and why?
- How often are parenting plans used in England?
- How involved do the judges get in family disputes or are couples trusted to reach agreements themselves, outside the court process?
The How to Split a Toaster podcast is all about saving relationships providing insight and guidance into the issues that really matter to couples.
LISTEN NOW TO THE HOW TO SPLIT A TOASTER: DIVORCE & SEPARATION ACROSS THE POND HERE : https://trustory.fm/toaster/toaster517/
Seth Nelson is a family law attorney at NLG Divorce & Family Law, with offices in Tampa, Florida. He is known for devising creative solutions to difficult problems. Seth is a registered mediator with the Florida Supreme Court Family Mediator Association, and a Member of the Executive Council for the Stann Givens Family Law Inns of Court. He focuses on Florida divorce law, Florida family law, and Florida family law mediation.
Nicole Phillips is a Senior Associate solicitor and mediator at Family Law in Partnership. She handles all aspects of private family law, assisting and supporting clients who are navigating divorce or separation to resolve any financial or children issues that may arise. Nicole combines a warm, sympathetic manner with tactical nous and incisive judgment. As a family mediator Nicole is a strong proponent of what mediation can offer clients, namely a humane, swift and cost-effective means of resolving family disputes by reducing conflict.
Nicole was named as a Rising Star and recommended for family law in the recent editions of The Legal 500 UK. She was also shortlisted for the award Family Law Young Solicitor of the Year in the prestigious LexisNexis Family Law Awards.