If your divorce has international aspects, our exceptional team of lawyers will guide and protect you whilst navigating the complexities of your case.
Divorce often involves complex international issues which vary significantly from case to case. For example, if one or both parties is a foreign national or is living in another country, there may be options in terms of the country in which the divorce or separation process is started.
It is crucial to get expert advice on international family law issues as soon as possible not least because the outcomes in different countries can be very different.
Our Expertise →
We regularly advise on complex issues arising from international divorce including:
- Pre and post-nuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements
- Jurisdiction disputes including advice on the most appropriate jurisdiction for divorce
- Recognition of foreign marriages and divorces
- Recognition of foreign/domestic civil partnerships and same-sex marriages
- Financial provision following a foreign divorce
- Enforcement of court orders abroad and foreign court orders in England & Wales
- International relocation of children
- Surrogacy, assisted reproduction and international adoption
- Offshore corporate and trust arrangements
- Overseas pension arrangements.
Our lawyers draw on their specialist knowledge, language skills and first class, worldwide contacts to advise a range of clients who include:
- UK nationals living or working abroad
- Foreign nationals living or working in England & Wales or contemplating moving to England & Wales
- Foreign nationals living abroad who want to divorce in England & Wales
- Parents who want to relocate abroad or who want to create or enforce arrangements affecting their children
- Parents seeking parental orders to deal with surrogacy or assisted reproduction
- Foreign trustees, settlors, beneficiaries and family offices
- Same sex couples seeking advice on their foreign marriage or civil partnership
- Foreign lawyers
We work closely with other family law specialists around the world to provide a truly international service. We are members of numerous international family law associations including the International Academy of Family Lawyers and the American Bar Association, International Section.
Our International Cases →
Some of our international family law cases are reported but many are kept out of the courts. Those that have been reported include:
- Divall v Divall – a complex case concerning a jurisdiction dispute.
- Solovyev v Solovyeva – a case concerning the recognition of overseas divorces by the English courts.
- B v S (Financial Remedy: Marital Property Regime) – a case concerning the effect of a separate property regime and a post-nuptial agreement.
- Golubovich v Golubovich – a case regarding the recognition of foreign divorce decrees by the English courts.
- Re X and Y (Leave to remove from jurisdiction: no order principle) – a case concerning the relocation of children abroad against the wishes of the other parent.
- Al Habtoor v Fotheringham – a case concerning the issue of habitual residence of a child and the recognition by the English court of foreign court orders.
We have some of the very best London divorce lawyers and mediators, along with accomplished arbitrators, family consultants and counsellors. There’s no one better to handle your case.
Get Started Online
Find Out Where You Stand